A group of Muslim men who became heroes for hosting a free barbecue for bush-fire victims have made it again.
They drove five hours up the coast to serve another meal to the rural village, Daily Mail reported Monday.
Jawad Nabouche, Talal Kanj, Omar Shmait, and Malek Eid have made headlines again for driving from Sydney to New South Wales mid-north coast to the bushfire-ravaged down of Willawarrin last month.
They left their homes in Lidcombe, in Sydney’s west, before sunrise on Saturday, armed with 30 kilos of sausages and meat, bread rolls and 30 boxes of water.
Hundreds of Willawarrin and Bellbrook residents turned out
for the event, commending the men for their generosity.
“That’s the true Aussie spirit right there well-done lads, you are true legends,” one local said.
“Way to go guys! What awesome human beings you are,” said
A Facebook post about the event attracted hundreds of
comments from other Australians praising the men for their community spirit.
“Awesome humans. Thank you so much. What a fantastic thing
“Thanks, guys, setting an example to our PM and his buddies.”
According to the 2016 Australian Census, the number of Muslims in the country constituted 604,200 people, or 2.6% of the total Australian population, an increase of over 15% of its previous population share of 2.2% reported in the previous census 5 years.
Muslims have been offering a helping hand to their communities struggling with drought and bushfire.
Earlier in November, a Southern Queensland town received a massive donation of tonnes of hay from Muslim Aid Australian charity.
In 2016, a big number of Muslim refugees volunteered to help save communities from dangerous bushfires, in an area facing a shortage of fire-fighting volunteers.