How To Sleep In Islam
Sleeping is one of the daily activities that we all human beings must perform and also a gift from Allah (SWT). After a long tiring day at work, we need a peaceful night sleep. Before going to bed we must do a few good things daily at night just before sleeping to remember Allah (SWT) and to earn great rewards from Him. These are the Sunnah of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and we all should follow them.
Islamic Way of Sleeping: How To Sleep In Islam
Religion Islam like all other matters of life also gives instructions about the right and proper way of sleeping in the form of the sleeping habits of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Doing these good, short yet powerful deeds won’t take much time and once it becomes a habit you will love doing it every day before sleeping.
- Sleeping time is one of the most important things, sleeping on time should also be made a habit if one wishes to remain healthy. It is quite natural that those who go to bed early, rise early as well. We should go to bed early so that we can wake up on time for Fajr prayer. Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) would go to bed early and commended that a person should stay up late night only if he is to offer the night prayer, recite the Holy Quran or if he is married and has a newlywed life.
- The sleeping position also matters it is recommended to sleep on the right side while facing the Qibla and keeping the right hand placed under the right cheek. Sleeping on the left side or lying on the stomach is Makruh and thus should be avoided.
- Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) used to perform wudu before sleeping. The Messenger of Allah Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Whenever you intend to go to bed, perform Wudu’ as is done for Salat (prayer)” (Bukhari). Hence, for a Muslim performing Wudu before going to sleep is a great chance to make the act of sleeping as an act of worship.
READ MORE: Manners And Importance Of Sleeping in Islam
- Prophet Muhammad (SAW) used to sweep His bed before going to sleep, which points towards the fact that a Muslim must ensure cleanliness. Therefore, when going to bed we must make sure that it is clean in all regards. It is further advised to brush one’s teeth, go to the bathroom, to cleanse oneself from sweat and unpleasant odors before sleeping.
- Before going to sleep a Muslim must also remember Allah (SWT) by supplicating to Him. The Dua of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) before going to sleep is: “بِاسْمِكَ اللَّهُمَّ أَمُوتُ وَأَحْيَا” (“In your name O Allah! I live and die.”)
- Say “Subhan Allah” 33 times, “Alhamdulillah” 33 times and “Allah u Akbar” 34 times before going to sleep.
- Recite Durood Sharif and don’t sleep on your stomach as it is the way of the people of hell and is not liked by Allah Almighty
Muslims should follow the traditions of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and make the simple act of sleeping into an activity that provides religious and spiritual benefits.