Who is Allah
Allah is believed to be the Creator of the seven heavens and the earth and every other creatures that abound in them. He has dominion over all things and He is believed to have neither beginning nor ending. He was not created but He created all things.
In the Quran 59 verses 22-24, Allah reveals to Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) some of His mervelous Nmaes:
هُوَ اللَّهُ الَّذِي لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ عَالِمُ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ هُوَ الرَّحْمَنُ الرَّحِيمُ
59|22|He is Allah. beside whom there is no other god, the All-Knower of the unseen and seen. He is the Most Gracious, The Most Merciful”.
23 هُوَ اللَّهُ الَّذِي لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْمَلِكُ الْقُدُّوسُ السَّلَامُ الْمُؤْمِنُ الْمُهَيْمِنُ الْعَزِيزُ الْجَبَّارُ الْمُتَكَبِّرُ سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ
59|23|He is Allah; besides Whom there is no other god; the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One, Peace, the Keeper of Faith, the Guardian, the Majestic, the Compeller, the Superb, Glory be to Allah above all that they associate as partners with Him.”
24 هُوَ اللَّهُ الْخَالِقُ الْبَارِئُ الْمُصَوِّرُ لَهُ الْأَسْمَاءُ الْحُسْنَى يُسَبِّحُ لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَهُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ
59|24|He is Allah; the Creator, the Originator, the Fashioner. To Him belong the Best Names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorify Him. And He is the Almighty, the All-Wise.”
READ MORE: History Of Prophet Muhammad And The Hijrah
Allah knows Himself more than we know Him. This is the reason He reveals His beautiful Names and qualities to Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) in the glorious Quran.
The significance of the Attributes/Names of Allah include the following:
- The Names of Allah help us to understand how great and powerful Allah is.
- Through His Names, we know that Allah is the Giver of life, health, food and prosperity and that we shall return to Him
- Through the Names of Allah, we know what please Him and what makes Him angry.
- By learning the Names, we know that wonderful ways to address Him.
- Allah’s Names teach us that He rewards those who believe in Him and do good deeds while He punishes those who do not believe in Him and also do bad deeds.
- We supplicate to Allah with His beautiful Names.
- If we know Allah’s Names and work according to them, paradise is our reward as Muslims.