Saudi Arabia, US urge Sudan’s warring rivals to extend cease-fire

Saudi Arabia and the United States on Sunday called on Sudan’s warring rivals to extend their temporary cease-fire, reports Anadolu Agency.

A 7-day cease-fire between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group is set to expire on Monday. The agreement was reached during face-to-face talks between the two sides in Saudi Arabia.

In a statement, the Saudi Foreign Ministry called on the Sudanese army and the RSF “to continue discussions to reach agreement on extending the cease-fire.”

Despite the cease-fire, clashes renewed between the army and the RSF in the capital Khartoum and other cities in the past days.

On Saturday, the paramilitary group said it was ready to discuss an extension of the cease-fire.

“While imperfect, an extension nonetheless will facilitate the delivery of urgently needed humanitarian assistance to the Sudanese people,” the statement said.

“In the absence of an agreement to extend the current cease-fire, it remains incumbent on the parties to adhere to their obligations under the short-term cease-fire and the preceding Declaration of Commitment to Protect the Civilians of Sudan,” it added.

READ: Saudi Arabia condemns attack on Jordan ambassador’s house in Sudan

At least 863 civilians have been killed and thousands injured since the fighting between the two military rivals erupted on April 15, according to local medics.

Disagreement had been fomenting in recent months between the army and the RSF over the paramilitary group’s integration into the armed forces, a key condition of Sudan’s transition agreement with political groups.

Sudan has been without a functioning government since October 2021 when the military dismissed Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s transitional government and declared a state of emergency in a move decried by political forces as a “coup.”

Sudan’s transitional period, which started in August 2019 after the ouster of President Omar al-Bashir, had been scheduled to end with elections in early 2024.

Power struggle in Sudan, between Genersl Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman al-Burhan and his Deputy Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo - Cartoon [Sabaaneh/Middle East Monitor]

Power struggle in Sudan, between Genersl Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman al-Burhan and his Deputy Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo – Cartoon [Sabaaneh/Middle East Monitor]

Middle East Monitor

Most Read this week

Chicago Muslims Find Strength in Community as Ramadan Begins

As the holy month of Ramadan began this week,...

Sanwo-Olu Calls for Peaceful Polls, Unity as Ramadan Begins

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has appealed to Muslims...

Threatening Letter Delivered to Sydney Mosque Just Before Ramadan

A deeply disturbing letter containing violent threats has been...

Premier League to Allow Ramadan Iftar Breaks During Matches

The English Premier League will continue a policy that...

Powerful Duas for Each Day of Ramadan

Ramadan is the most blessed month in the Islamic...

More Articles

How to Fast in Ramadan for Spiritual Growth

Learn how to fast in Ramadan with clear, actionable steps. Discover preparation, daily fasting routines, and tips to achieve a fulfilling spiritual experience.

Why Ramadan Feels Different Every Year – A Spiritual Reflection

Ramadan—the blessed month in which the Qur’an was revealed—is...

Muhammad and Interfaith Dialogue, Psychological Wisdom, Conflict Resolution, and Global Peace

Prophet Muhammad: Interfaith Dialogue, Wisdom & Global Peace —...

Muhammad in History, Scripture, Love, and the Modern World

Muhammad in History - Few individuals in human history...

Modern Lessons from the Qiblah Change in Islam

The change of Qiblah in early Islamic history was...

The Significance of the Qiblah Change in Islam

The change of the Qiblah stands as one of...

Related News

Popular Categories